Sunday, January 1, 2023

Christmas 2022 / New Year 2023

 We have been in Perth for just over a week and we have one more week here. It's been nice spending time with Paul, Stella and their kids. The kids all get along, especially Mathias and Cooper. The heat hasn't even been that bad. Kerrys Dad was here too, he went home yesterday. 

Where Paul and Stella live reminds me of California because there's a lot of concrete. There's practically no front yards, it's just road, footpath then houses all packed in close to one another. Not much green grass, a lot of people even have fake grass in their yards. We've done a lot of swimming here, they don't have a pool just plenty of friends who have pools. We have visited a few places around Perth, Hillary's, King's Garden (Botanical garden) and Fremantle or 'Freo' as it's affectionately called by the locals.

Lots and LOTS of New Zealanders here. A lot of their friends are New Zealanders, it's like 'little NZ' here. I've heard the saying a few times in the last couple of days 'small world'... I think it gets even smaller when you're from New Zealand. 

It's funny, I'm not completely comfortable being around so many New Zealanders, they typically reminisce about 'home' and loads of talk about people, who knows who, and the places. I think it's because I don't identify myself as being a New Zealander as such. I identify as Australian, Sydney is my home where I grew up and I was born in New Zealand. And I don't have much memory of places and people so when they all start saying name places and family names I'm out.

An added layer to that is the running 'joke' of trying to get us to move here. Kerry and I had one serious conversation about the possibility of temporally moving to make a bunch of money for a house, he drops that to everyone and it's like it's a definite plan!?

I did enjoy the real Maori bread though.

It's been very very chill and relaxed holiday which is really quite nice. And oddly my skin is in a really really good way at the moment. Within a matter of days it seemed to be clearing, it's still itchy and crap, but it hasn't been painful and inflamed in roughly 2 weeks so I've really been loving that.

We are going away with Paul and Stella and the kids tomorrow until Thursday to a place called Green Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment